I love veggie cakes. Of course, potato latkes are one of the world's best food creations ever. But really, mush anything into a little cake and I will probably love it. Zucchini is another summer winner.
They are so easy, relatively healthy and so versatile. Really, what's not to love?!
I had a few radishes left in a bag that needed to be used or tossed. Being one who dislikes throwing away good food, I came up with this little ditty. Oh it's so yummy, y'all! Don't be afraid...trust me.
Carrot and Radish Cakes
* Veggies (in this case half a bag of small radishes and a few handfuls of baby carrots)
* Flour (I use Better Batter but any flour will do)
* Seasoning (I used salt, pepper, onion power, garlic powder and freshly grated nutmeg)
* Splash or two of water
* Grate veggies in food processor. Don't they look so pretty!
* Place grated veggies in colander and toss with a bit of Kosher salt. Let sit a while to drain excess water. If you are in a hurry like I usually am, after a few minutes, squeeze water out of veggies with hands. Discard the liquid as it is very salty.
* In a bowl, mix a few tablespoons of flour (The amount will depend on how much of the veggie mush you are making into cakes. Just eyeball it.) and seasonings. Season VERY well or the cakes will taste too bland.
* Add drained veggies. Mix well.
* Add a splash or two of water to get the mixture to stick together. Again...eyeball it.
* Form patties.
* Place a few tablespoons of plain flour on a plate. Coat each little cake in flour.
* Heat veggie or olive oil in a pan. I just used a few tablespoons- just enough to coat the bottom of cakes. But I imagine if you like to fry things, it would be delish that way too.
* Cook cakes on medium until golden on both sides.
* Enjoy plain or with sour cream or apple sauce.