Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cinnamon Swirl Muffins

I read this recipe a few days ago and have been craving the muffins ever since then!  I am not even a big muffin fan but the cinnamon and sugar and butter ... I needed them!  But of course it took me days to track down all the ingredients.  And even then I had to sub out tapioca starch for potato starch because I can't find anything but tapioca pearls in my stores.  I've started writing down common ingredients that I find in recipes because it looks like a big online order is necessary. 

I don't think my muffins are as pretty as Ginger Lemon Girl's.  I should have stirred the cinnamon mixture in more.  But that aside, they taste amazing!!  I ate one after supper and was a very happy little girl!  Gave one to my father, who has zero understanding of my new diet no matter how many times I've explained it all, and he said it was fantastic.  I am giving you the recipe as I made it tonight- just slightly different from the original.

Dry Ingredients:1/3 cup potato starch
2/3 cup brown rice flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients:
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup almond milk (or any milk)
1/4 cup oil (*next time I might cut this and use more applesauce)

Cinnamon Swirl:
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons melted butter







Directions:
* Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
* Whip egg whites to stiff peaks.  (I did this in the stand mixer while I prepared everything else)
* In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. 
* In medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients, minus two egg whites.
* Whisk together wet into dry ingredients. 
* Fold egg whites into mixture gently.  It's OK if you still see a few white streaks.
* In small bowl, melt butter in microwave.  Add cinnamon and sugar and mix well.
* Spritz 12 muffin tin with non-stick spray.  Fill each muffin cup half full with mixture.
* Add 1/2 teaspoon-ish of the cinnamon butter to each muffin cup.  Stir a bit with a knife.
* Fill the muffin cups with the remaining mixture.  Top with remaining cinnamon butter.  Mix a bit with a knife so that you get the yummy cinnamon in each bite.
* Bake for 18-22 minutes.  Cool on wire rack. 

They are fantastic!!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment