Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Homemade Pasta

I did it!  I made my own pasta.  No pasta machine involved.  Not difficult at all.  And possibly the only way I will ever eat pasta again.  Oh, and I made it gluten free too.  My father ate it too and could not stop talking about it.  He was super impressed when I then told him I made it.  And about 10 minutes later, he was shocked when I admitted it was gluten free.  It really didn't take much longer to make than when you open a box of pasta either.  Oh sure, the prep time is more.  But the cook time is only 3-4 minutes.  So it really comes close to even in the end.  I think with some practice, I should have it down to about 15-20 minutes.  Which is about the same time it takes to open and cook a box of pasta.  If you don't stop to take photos of every step, it should save you a good bit of time too.  But only a non-blog-aholic would dare to make pasta for the first time without photographic evidence!

Let me again say that I did not use a pasta machine.  I don't own one.  I might ask for the pasta attachment for my Kitchen-Aid mixer for Christmas.  Maybe.  I honestly don't really care if my pasta noodles are imperfect and a bit thicker.

If you can make sugar cookies, you can make pasta.  If you are gluten-full, just use regular AP flour instead of the GF flour.  I adapted this recipe from a few I found online.

GF Pasta that my dad is still talking about:

Ingredients:
2 cups GF flour mix (includes xanthan gum)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon evoo
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/3 (or more) cup water

Directions:
* Dump first four ingredients in a food processor.  (you can totally do this by hand too if you do not have a fp)

* Turn on and stream in the water until dough forms into a ball.  You might need a bit more water.  If so, add a tiny bit at a time.



* Ball up and cover in plastic wrap.  Rest in refrigerator for 10 minutes.

* Lightly flour surface and rolling pin.  Cut dough in half and roll out as thin as possible.  Cut into desired shape with pizza cutter or knife.










* Toss in a bit more flour if noodles are sticking together.



* Add to salted, boiling water.  Cook for 3-4 minutes, depending on thickness.



Every recipe I found used either a pasta machine or a ruler to make picture perfect noodles.  That's just not something I care much about so mine are all wonky.  Tastes just as fabulous, I promise!

I didn't realize I was out of jarred pasta sauce until I put the dough in the fridge to rest.  Of course.  So I instead used one random can of sauce, one can of crushed tomatoes, one can of chopped clams and one package of frozen muscles.  It takes less than ten minutes in one pot for this to cook. 





Next week, I'm going to try making it pumpkin flavored.  Stay tuned.  I'm so sure y'all are just on the edge of your seats waiting.  Ha!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! Perfect for chicken noodle soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing!! This recipe will be perfect for chicken noodle soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is in your gluten free flour mix? I was in the store today and saw a few different mixes. "Gluten free flour mix" that was largely cornstarch, another that was called "pancake flour" another called "bread mix"....

    ReplyDelete