Monday, October 11, 2010

GF Pizza Take One: A Review



I wanted pizza tonight.  I had planned to make my own but stumbled upon this GF Amy's product in the market tonight.  Everyone raves about Amy's products so I thought I would give it a try.

For the record, I was in no way compensated for this review.  I got in my car, drove to my store, bought it with my moola, and drove back to my home to bake it up.  I have a receipt to prove that I spent $9.99 on this tiny pizza.  Living GF is about three times more expensive than living gluten full. 

But before we get started, let me point out a flaw in the Amy's company marketing plan.  I first suspected this might be Gluten Free because it stated rice flour crust.  But I had to pull it out and search the whole box to find out if it was in fact, GF.  Can you see it on the box?




It's in the bottom left corner in small writing.  Maybe they just expect GF folks to automatically know that this is a GF product but it is a crappy way to entice new customers to try the product.  Don't make me work hard to figure out if you are GF.  Proclaim it.  Loud and proud.




So this is the size of the pizza next to a glass 1 cup measure for your reference.  It's quite small.  I'd say about the size of 1.5-2 slices of NY pizza.  I also added extra cheese on top because I had some in the fridge.




And here are a few slices with some salad.  The results are that it is OK.  Not great.  Maybe not even all that good.  But it wasn't bad either.  A solid C.  I know that there are better possibilities.  And I am determined to make my own this week that is far tastier, healthier and cheaper.

I don't want to bash the product.  It wasn't terrible.  But the crust tasted very GF.  Gritty and with an odd aftertaste.  I have found over the last month that if I make things myself, they turn out nearly as yummy as the original.  And that is my goal at the end of the day.  To be kind to my insides but mind my pension for lots of yummy flavor too!


No comments:

Post a Comment