It was cold and rainy and yucky the other night. So I made this up on a whim and am writing it down here to remember it. Sooo good! The perfect comfort food.
Creamy Potato Leek Soup
* 2 tsp. butter
* 1 tsp evoo
* 3 slices of bacon, chopped small
* 2 leeks, washed well and chopped small
* 6-8 medium potatoes, chopped small
* 1-2 carrots, chopped small
* 1 box chicken broth
* 1-2 cups milk or cream
* salt, pepper, nutmeg and cumin to taste
* Saute bacon and leeks in butter and evoo. Chop potatoes and add them to the pot. Stir to prevent burning. Add carrots.
* Add chicken broth. Then add enough water to cover all the veggies and make it soup-like. You are just going to have to eye-ball this.
* Add seasoning to taste. Be careful with salt as it is already in butter and probably your chicken broth. I love freshly grated nutmeg in nearly everything. It adds an extra yumminess. Trust me. Ditto on the cumin. But again, to your own taste. Lots of herbs would be nice so use whatever you have on hand.
* When the potatoes are tender, take a potato masher and mash it down a few times. This will help thicken the soup without adding another thickener.
* Add 1-2 cups of whatever milky product you have on hand. I used almond milk but if you have cream on hand, I bet that would be crazy good.
* Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top if you are able to eat dairy.