Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bierocks

I made these last night.  Bierocks.  Go to that link for the crust recipe because I improvised and my crust was not nearly as nice as hers.  It was dry and I was upset that they didn't look very pretty.  The good news is that they tasted fantastic, crust included!  So what I did was great, just not very eye-catching. 

For the filling I just made it up as I went along.  But here is the list of what I used:

* 1 head purple cabbage, chopped
* 1 small eggplant, peeled and cubed
* 1 package sliced mushrooms
* 1/2 small chopped onion, chopped
* 1 large bag frozen, thawed, drained spinach
* 1 cup ricotta cheese
* 1/4 cup shredded cheese of choice
* EVOO
* salt and pepper to taste



Saute the onion and cabbage in EVOO.  Once wilted, add mushrooms, then eggplant. 



Add spinach.



Add cheeses.



Roll out 12 dough balls.  Fill with a few spoons of the mixture.  Fold up dough around mixture.  Brush with a bit of melted butter.



Mine were so crumbly that they kept breaking all over the place and there was just no way to flip them over with a seam side down.



But it turns out it didn't matter.  They tasted fantastic.  Two made me feel REALLY full at dinner.  After they cooled, I wrapped most of them individually in plastic wrap and stuck them in the freezer.  They make a fantastic single girl dinner or hot lunch. 

I know they look small but they are surprisingly filling.  You could certainly use up leftover meats or make mini calzones.  I'm pretty excited to have some ready-made meals in the freezer. 

3 comments:

  1. Don't you just LOVE having stuff in the freezer? Particularly when you're GF and it's not simple to just grab something (and who would want one of those terrible frozen dinners- yuck- talk about a nutritional void!) Whenever I make stew, soup, etc. I immediately portion and freeze so I never eat the same thing for days on end, get completely sick of it and never want to see it again. :) Instead I'm anxious for the chance to take it for lunch. A much better scenario! :)
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious! I love all the bright colors of the foods you used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am impressed you got that many vegetables into one cute little bundle! Are they kind of like a cross between a potsticker and a pot pie? When you pull them out of the freezer, what do you suppose would be the best way to reheat?

    I'm visiting from Creative Juices for Decor blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete