Sunday, October 2, 2011

Cutie Pies



I've seen so many bloggers baking cupcakes in Ball canning jars and thought that I needed to make myself some tiny pies.  And OMG I am so very pleased!  They are just too cute. 

I must say they did take more time than a normal pie.  Not difficult but time consuming. 

There seem to be two methods to get the crust inside the jars.  I used a combo of the two.  Your first option is to just take tiny pieces and mush them together to form a bottom crust against the glass.  Your second option is to measure a round bottom and side piece and place/mush them in place.  Again, I sort of used both methods.  I would be hard pressed to make more than a few of these though as they do take a long time for each little jar.

Then fill with your favorite filling.  I peel and cut up a mixture of apples- some sweeter and some firm and tart.  Add cinnamon, sugar and a pinch of nutmeg.  Toss apples in mixture as you cut them up.




I used a jar to cut out the top crust.  I just sort of placed it on top.  Cut a slit for steam.  Brush the top with butter and sprinkle on sugar.  This time I used my vanilla bean sugar actually.

Bake @350 for 30-40 mins, until golden.  You can even make a bunch and pop them in the freezer.  Then just pop one or two in the oven to have yourself a little fresh baked apple pie any time you get a craving.


I got tired of the little jars and in the end made a bigger little pie in a ramekin.

Then when all was said and done, I actually entered myself in a little contest on my local NBC website.  Feel free to take a gander...

Oh and I can't remember if I ever posted it on here but I finally came up with a perfect gluten free pie crust recipe that one can actually roll out.  Raw, it does taste GF.  But baked, most people can't even tell the difference.

In a food processor, mix 2.5 cups GF flour blend (I use Better Batter), pinch of salt, few pinches of sugar, 1 tablespoon cream cheese, 2 sticks cold butter, and ice cold water (anywhere from 5 tbls to 1/4 cup). 

No comments:

Post a Comment