Saturday, October 1, 2011

Easy Eggplant Dip

2 Japanese white eggplants, 1 GIANT purple eggplant, 1 black tomato (it's supposed to be that color), 2 not yet ripe t'mater that fell early and will ripen in a sunny window and lots of delish red t'maters that were made into salsa.


It's been so rainy and dreary here lately that I've just sort of let my garden go.  And by garden, I mean two eggplant plants (do I say eggplants or eggplant plants?), three tomato plants and on acorn squash that died a few weeks ago. 

So imagine my surprise the other evening when I was out picking t'mater and spied this giant purple eggplant!  All hidden under the big fuzzy eggplant leaves.  This sucker is heavy as all get out.   I was afraid it wouldn't be very tasty this overgrown.  Oh but I just hate waste.  So I chopped it up and tossed it in some EVOO, Kosher salt and pepper.  And roasted it for about 30 mins (until soft).






Then I buzzed it thorough the food processor with a dash or three of chili powder.  You might need to add a little more EVOO too depending on how much you added before roasting.  And if you find a jar of roasted red peppers in your pantry, I bet that would be yummy too.


Not pretty but sooo yummy!


This dip has no actual name.  But it's really really yummy.  Like addicting.  Great on chips, crackers, veggies, crusty bread, or a spoon.

So should you find yourself with a giant purple eggplant or a bunch of normal sized eggplants, you totally need to make this little eggplant dip.  Because it's really really good!



No comments:

Post a Comment