Sunday, September 11, 2011

Great Breakfast : Green Smoothie

I think by now everyone has heard of green smoothies.  You know, a smoothie with green veggies added to it.  I've tried lots of variations on this recipe and must tell you that broccoli is not good in a smoothie.  It tastes too much like broccoli.  Which is fine, I mean, I like broccoli and eat it often.  But not in a smoothie.

My favorite green addition is frozen spinach.  I like it better than fresh because I think it breaks up finer.  You can't taste it.  And it's packed with nutrients.

This is what I made the other day.  The vary from smoothie to smoothie based on what I have in the kitchen at the time.

GREEN SMOOTHIE

Ingredients:
* 1 cup yogurt (I used blueberry but any flavor or plain will do just fine.)
* A few splashes of milk (I used almond.)
* 1 tablespoon blueberry-banana jam because the jar was about empty (this is optional)
* 1 over-ripe banana
* 1/4 bag frozen spinach




Directions:* Blend everything together.  Serve over ice.





I don't always add jam.  But there was just a little bit left in the jar and I was in a clean out the fridge mood.  It adds to the sweetness but is certainly not necessary.  Especially if your banana is brown- those are sugary-sweet all on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment