Thursday, September 15, 2011

Savory Sweet Scones




I stumbled upon this recipe not that long ago and have been dreaming of the scones ever since that first read.  They looked delicious. 

But of course, I made a few changes.  Mostly because I had different ingredients on hand.  I've never actually seen a green garlic so I had to improvise on that front for sure.  And because I was dying to try a new ingredient that just arrived in the mail. 

For fun, I ordered several new gluten free flours.  Including plantain flour.  Alone, it does taste faintly of plantains.  Which by the way, are not bananas, for those who didn't grow up eating Cuban food the way NY/NJ folks eat Italian food.  I will be sharing my thoughts on the other fun new (to me) ingredients that I ordered as they get used in recipes. 

But back to the scone recipe.  It's good.  You should make it.  How's that for a review?  I ate one with dinner but then ate one the next morning for breakfast.  Even though the dough is savory with the chives, black pepper and garlic, the glaze is sweet.  It's really a perfect contrast.  And please, for the love of food, only use pure maple syrup.  Pancake syrup is not the same thing.  Actually, it's completely gross. 

The original recipe notes that you should let the flax meal soak for a bit.  And I must say, this was a big ah-ha moment for me.  I've been adding flax meal to my recipes for more than a year and while I love the flavor, it leaves muffins and such rather dry and gritty.  Allowing them to soften and absorb the liquid totally changed them and I have vowed to do that every time from now on!

So this is the recipe I used with one exception.  I am noting the amount of chives I will use next time.  I used less and think it would be even better with more.  Also, don't call the foodie police, but I only ever use salted butter.  There, I admitted it!  So I adjust my salt accordingly.  If you are better than me and use unsalted butter, add in more salt than this recipes notes.  If you don't have some of the flours, just sub in what you do have on hand.  Or use all gf flour blend if that's what is in your pantry right now.  And if you live gluten full, you should be able to use normal AP flour. 





Savory Scones

Ingredients:

* 3/4 cup sour cream (I used low-fat)
* 2 tablespoons flax meal
* 2 large eggs
* 2 egg yolks
* 6 slices cooked bacon
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons millet flour
* 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons plantain flour
* 1 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend (plus more for dusting)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, cold and cut in cubes
* egg wash or milk to brush on scones

Glaze Ingredients:
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
* 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

Directions:
* Preheat oven to 350.

* Mix sour cream, eggs, egg yolks and flax meal in a bowl to allow flax to soak up some of the liquid.  Set aside.

* Mix flours, salt, pepper, chives, and garlic in mixing bowl with whisk or in food processor (my chosen method) until well blended.

* Add in the butter- mix until it looks like little pebbles.  (Again I did all of the in the food processor but it could easily be done by hand too.) 

* Add in egg mixture.  It will be quite sticky.

* Dump out on well-floured counter and divide in half.  Form two round disks and cut into 6-8 wedges.  Place scones on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.   Brush top of scones with egg wash or milk (I used milk).  Bake at 350 for 18-20 mins.

* When scones nearly finished baking, microwave butter and maple syrup until melted.  Mix in confectioners sugar and pepper.  You might need to pop the mixture back in the microwave for a few seconds to make sure its runny.  Top scones with mixture.

* Enjoy warm or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment